Monday, October 12, 2009

Soup For Lunch


Today was the first cold October day, and I needed a warming lunch. The first thing I ever cooked in high school Home Economics class was a celery soup. ( I remember that I was surprised that I could actually create something that could be eaten.) So, today I realized that I had a couple heads of celery in the refrigerator that were fast becoming "woody" and needed to be consumed rather soon. So, celery soup it was. I also made some savory Tomato Rosemary Scones that I got from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's new Vegan Brunch cookbook.

Creamy Celery Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour
4 cups celery, chopped
2 cups chard stems, chopped
6 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup soy milk
salt to taste

Saute the onion in the oil until beginning to soften. Add the salt, chopped celery, and chard stems and continue to saute for a bit before adding the garlic. (You don't want the garlic to burn or it will turn bitter.) Stir in the flour until it incorporates and disappears. Add the broth and simmer, covered for 25 minutes. Somewhere near the end of cooking time add the fresh dill. After fully cooked, stir in the soy milk. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.



No comments:

Post a Comment